Mini Adventures

Our first night in Whistler, we went out to the village for dinner.  We walked down the hill to get to the upper village and from there walked to the main village to find a place to eat.  Now I know that many people say Whistler is very expensive, but you just need to know where to go.  We managed to find a nice little place called La Brasserie for dinner.  My sister and I had the Mussels, Poh Poh had the spaghetti (small size) and I think Sister W’s husband had the Chicken Ciabatta.  We shared the Duck Drumsticks and Big Sister B had Chicken Fingers.  The prices were decent.  The serving sizes were decent for the price we paid.  And the service was pretty good too.  And of course, it’s outdoor seating.  The Duck drumsticks were tasty but I could probably pass on them next time.  The mussels were very good, as was the sauce.  It’s a shame that it came with fries rather then bread.  Because after eating all the mussels, there was nothing to sop up the sauce so that it did not go to waste.  After dinner we walked around the village for a little bit before heading back to the hotel.  Sister W and I decided to walk back up the hill to the hotel while the rest of them took the free bus back to the hotel.

In hindsight, we:

  1. Probably should’ve started back to the hotel earlier, or
  2. Probably should’ve taken the bus back with the rest of the group

By the time Sister W and I decided to head back to the hotel, the sun was already beginning to set.  By the time we made it to Rebagliati Park, it was very dark.  And we still had to get up the hill to the hotel.  As with all my adventures, big or small, in this case small, we got lost.  Thank goodness for the flashlight app on my phone.  It was more disorientation rather than lost.  And Thank goodness I had Sister W.  There were a few times where I was seeing black shapes and I was worried about bears and feeling very vulnerable without my bear bell.  Yes I know the bear bell would not save me, but still knowing that it may warn the wildlife away provides me with a tiny bit of comfort.  And later on, it was nice to know that I wasn’t the only person worrying about black shapes in the dark.  After our adventure was complete, it was time for me to head to the hotel gym.  Even though I was foregoing a hike, I still craved exercise.  The hotel has a decent gym and it’s right near their pool.  After my endorphin rush, Sister W handed me a book to read:  Austenland by Shannon Hale.  We had been talking about this movie/book ever since Sister W discovered the trailer on YouTube.  It was a cute trailer and the premise seemed kind of appealing and since I tend to believe that the books are always better than the movie, started in on the book that night.  And finished it early in the morning.  Good thing I was on vacation and didn’t need to wake up early.  It was a pretty good book, an easy read.  Perfect for a mini vacation.  And since I love Jane Austen’s books, especially Pride and Prejudice and the Colin Firth version of the TV production, it was a nice little addition to the “Austen” related stories.  I have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies as well as other versions of the story where it is written from the point of view of Mr. Darcy.  Anyways, it was a late night for me.

The next morning, after breakfast, we headed down to the main village for some retail therapy.  The one nice thing about visiting Whistler at this time of year is the end of season sales.  I managed to get a nice, light, waterproof jacket in a pretty purple colour.  If you read one of my earlier posts, you’ll know that it actually wasn’t waterproof, more like water repellent.  GRRRRR.  Buyer BEWARE!  I always keep that in mind when I’m shopping overseas, but who knew I had to keep that in mind in Whistler.  GRRRRR.  Well it’s a nice water-repellant, wind resistant jacket now.  Well, after my retail therapy, we made the standard stop at Cow’s for some ice cream.  Poh Poh said she prefer’s McDonalds soft serve ice cream.  Oh well.  Once our shopping was done, we headed back to the hotel, Poh Poh for a nap and me to the gym.  When Sister W and family returned, they began prepping for dinner.  Dinner was very good, however cooking in the hotel room just made the hotel room even more hot.  Thankfully, after dinner we headed down to the pool.  Sister W, husband and Big Sister B and I were so ready for the pool.  Poh Poh stayed in the hotel room with Little Brother N.  After all the adults had a chance to be a ‘crocodile’ to Big Sister B, we returned to the hotel room for the night.

After breakfast, we started to pack up our things for the trip home.  At first Poh Poh and I were gonna stick around for the farmer’s market but then we just decided to pass and head home.  We stopped again in Squamish for lunch and that’s when I started to see the sea fog rolling in.  It was strange.  I had never seen sea fog actually rolling in.  At first I thought there was a fire somewhere in the mountain, but when we got closer, I could see that it was coming in from the water.  So I decided to stop again in Shannon Falls Provincial Park and see what it would look like around the waterfall.  After admiring the view in the fog, it was time to head home.  So back into the car we went.  We managed to go from sunshine, to fog, to rain, to torrential rain and back to cloudy all in one day and all along the Sea-to Sky highway.  Oh what a little adventure we had.  What a nice little vacation.  I’m glad I went.  I’m glad I didn’t go on a big hike over the weekend.  And I’m glad I got spend time with Sister W and family.


I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s